ATTENTION RESIDENTS OF WOODY POINT
The garbage collector will be in town on Monday, March 21 collecting white metals (washer, dryer, fridge, stove, etc)…if you have any old appliances to be disposed of please feel free to drop them off at the drop station next to the town hall.
If you have any questions please contact the town office at 453-2273
HAPPY VOLUNTEER WEEK
Volunteer Week 2014 is April 6 to 12. The provincial theme for this year is “…for the health of it!” and the Honourary Chair is Dr. Andrew Furey, Co-founder and President of Team Broken Earth. Dr. Furey says volunteering is literally good for heart and Lowers blood pressure, and that as Newfoundlanders and Labradorians, it’s part of who we are.
Patron for Volunteer Week
His Honour, The Honourable Frank F. Fagan, CM, ONL, MBA
Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador
But, in the meantime, we would like to extend a VERY BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE VOLUNTEERS IN OUR REGION…YOUR ASSISTANCE AND SUPPORT OF THE MANY COMMITTEES IN OUR TOWN IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Without your help our towns would not be where they are today!!!
We would also like to extend a very special thank you to the SOUTH SIDE FIRE DEPARTMENT. Your dedication, hard work, training and response to emergency situations is very much appreciated….thank you….for who you are, for what you do, for giving us all peace of mind knowing that our towns are protected….thank you….for putting others before yourself, for putting it all on the line sometimes to help save a life….thank you, thank you, thank you!!! It cannot be said enough….thank you!!!
Request for Proposals
Request for Proposals (RFP)
For Private Sector Lease/Operation of the John William Robert’s House
Issued: March 27, 2014
Submission deadline: April 25, 2014 3:00pm
Site Visits: Any time with appropriate notice to Town Manager
Questions: Questions can be submitted anytime in writing to Town Office
and answers will be provided and circulated to all interested parties.
If you wish to have a copy of this RFP please contact the town office at 453-2273 or by email email@example.com
The Town of Woody Point invites proposals for parties that may be interested in leasing the Roberts House for business or other uses. Preferences will be given to proposals that meet the following criteria:
- help to further the efforts to market Woody Point as a tourist destination;
- result in minimal renovations to the existing infrastructure;
- continue to provide tourism information services to the public at the facility;
- provides product or services that complements existing businesses in Woody Point and Gros Morne National Park;
- offer the potential for a long term lease agreement;
- provide sufficient revenue to the Town to provide for the annual and long term upkeep of the Roberts House infrastructure; and
- willing to offer a minimum 4 month lease commitment.
Woody Point is a beautiful and historic town located in the heart of Gros Morne National Park, in Newfoundland and Labrador. The Town of Woody Point encompasses three areas, Curzon Village, Woody Point and Winterhouse Brook. It has a total population of 281 residents. There is a system of community walking trails to enjoy. The Discovery Trail, which goes from the school, Bonne Bay Academy, to Gros Morne National Park’s Discovery Centre, affords a spectacular bird’s eye view of Bonne Bay, the Tablelands and Gros Morne Mountain. Woody Point has a beautiful waterfront with many heritage buildings and in 2010 was designated a Registered Heritage District.
It is within the Registered Heritage District that you will find the John William Roberts House which is currently used as an information centre for the Town of Woody Point. While there, visitors can view the various rooms in the home which showcases the details, architecture and lifestyle of the homeowners from early to mid-1900.
Other Heritage Homes and structures within Woody Point are:
The St. Patrick’s Church built in 1875.
The Hezekiah House built in 1870.
The Woody Point Heritage Theatre (formally the Loyal Orange Lodge) built in 1908.
The Roberts’ Traditional Fishing Shed built in the early 1900′s.
Interested parties shall submit the following information to the Town of Woody Point in writing before the closing date:
- Name, address and contact information for the Applicant. If the Applicant is a corporation, partnership or other entity then full details about the ownership of the Applicant will be required.
- A business plan outlining the purpose for which the building will be used and the anticipated revenues of the venture. This information will assist the Town to evaluate the viability of the business to ensure that the Applicant is able to maintain its financial commitment to the Town if a leasing agreement is reached.
- Details of modifications that are needed to the building and/or its electrical, plumbing or other components. The Town would like to see minimal modifications to the building but the Town will try to work with Applicants to make their business plan work in order to reach a suitable leasing agreement for the building.
- Details about remuneration that will be paid to the Town in exchange for leasing the building including an upfront payment to protect the Town should the business fail to meet the Applicant’s expectations.
- Details about how the Applicant will maintain a commitment to provide tourist information services at Robert’s House during the summer months while operating their business there.
- Details related to the number of persons that will be employed directly or indirectly in the business and other economic benefits that the business will provide to the Town.
- A detailed time schedule outlining the time frame for all tasks to be completed for implementation of the project.
The Town of Woody Point reserves the right to reject any or all bids. The Town also reserves the right to negotiate with any bidders. Any bid may be withdrawn prior to the above scheduled time for the opening of bids or authorized postponement thereof. Any bid received after the time and date specified may not be considered. Modifications to bids already submitted will be allowed if submitted in writing prior to the deadline for the submission of bids.
Opening, Evaluation and Contracting
Proposals may be opened by The Town of Woody Point at any time after their submission. All proposals satisfying the requirements of this Request for Proposals will be evaluated to establish which of the Applicants best fulfills the needs of The Town of Woody Point for this project. The Town of Woody Point may meet with all bidders to discuss their bids and/or discuss modifications to their bid prior to deciding which Applicant’s proposal is accepted.
This Request for Proposals, however, does not commit the Town of Woody Point to accept any of the proposals received as a result of this request and the Town reserves the right to negotiate with all qualified Applicants or to cancel this Request for Proposals, if it is in the best interests of The Town of Woody Point to do so. The decision of The Town of Woody Point shall be final.
An Applicant shall be required to move quickly to proceed with their project after being selected by the Town. The Town shall monitor the time schedule provided by the Applicants and ensure that all work is completed on schedule in order to ensure that the Town has time to award the lease to another Applicant in case the selected Applicant is unable to proceed with the project. Notice would be given to the selected Applicant after 30 days if the time schedule in the application is not proceeding has planned.
Form of Contract
After an Applicant has been accepted a formal contract shall be drawn up between the successful Applicant and the Town of Woody Point which will provide full details of the leasing arrangement for Robert’s House.
________________________________________________________________Did you know???? Consumers and businesses in Newfoundland and Labrador can responsibly recycle their end-of-life electronics FREE OF CHARGE, simply by bringing their old or unwanted products to an EPRA Drop-off Centre. http://www.recyclemyelectronics.ca/nl/The closest location to Woody Point is the Scotia Recycling Green Depot:
55 Maple Valley Road, Corner Brook, NL, A2H 6T3
Phone: 709-634-2025 _____________________________________________________________________________
Introducing another way to help you develop your business in Woody Point. The Town of Woody Point has partnered with BizPal to provide current regulations and permits required for business set-up and growth in the Municipality of Woody Point.Welcome to BizPaL, your online source of information on permits and licences.Launched in 2005, BizPaL is jointly managed by a partnership involving governments at the federal, provincial, territorial and municipal levels. Provinces, territories and hundreds of municipalities have collaborated together to provide you with the permits and licences that may be required to start and grow your business.Streamlining your business permit and licensing experienceWhy BizPaL…
It’s free – Search for the permits and licences you may need to start or grow your business.
Save time and money — Spend less time searching for information and more time building your business.
Improve business planning — Know which permits and licences are needed so that you get it right the first time.
Get answers — Available 24/7 to help you navigate government requirements specific to your business type.
Use Step-by-Step when you’re looking for permits and licences for a particular business type and its related activities or topics.
Use Search by Keyword when you’re looking for permits and licences with a specific keyword in the permit name or description.
BizPaL is a service provided by the federal, provincial/territorial, and municipal governments
Notice of Election Results
The seven Councillors of the Town of Woody Point were officially sworn in on Thursday, September 12, 2013. These seven Councillors were elected by acclamation on September 3, 2013 therefore there will be no Municipal Election for the Town of Woody Point.
At this time, a secret ballot was held to determine the position(s) of Mayor and Deputy Mayor. The results are as follows:
J Blanchard, Returning Officer
I would like to provide you with a small list of do’s and don’ts for garbage placement at the curb.
- No metals to be placed at the curb. If you have metal waste there is a drop-off site next to the Town Hall in Woody Point where you can drop off your metals such as washers, dryers, hot water tanks, fridges, etc. This drop-off site is for the residents of Woody Point only.
- If you have large items such as old beds, bureaus, couches, wooden tables, chairs, etc. the contractor will take these at the curb with the regular garbage.
- The contractor will allow boxes and small bags such as kitchen catchers to be placed for pick-up, along with the regular full size garbage bags.
- Please place your garbage at your boundary line.
- The contractor will be providing a 4 yard bin that can be rented by residents and businesses for dumping of construction material on job sites. The cost to rent is $50 per bin load. The contractor will drop the bin off to you and will remove when finished. If the bin has to be dumped before the job is finished it will be dumped on Tuesdays when the contractor is in town.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the town office by telephone 453-2273, by email firstname.lastname@example.org, via the web at www.woodypoint.ca or on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/woody.point.14_____________________________________________________________________________
We are very pleased to announce that funding has been received from New Horizons and Seniors Wellness Committee, through the Safe and Sustainable Communities of Bonne Bay South to create a community garden. We have built 12 boxes (6′ x 12′) for your gardening pleasure. We encourage you to come along and plant some veggies, flowers, whatever you want to plant!!! We will have a watering hose available as well.
There is no cost to book a garden box, all you need are your seeds, fertilizer, and gardening gloves!!!
For further information please contact Jacqueline at 453-2273 or by email email@example.com.
The Buddy Foundation
We have started a foundation for the stray cats in our town..it is called “The Buddy Foundation”…so named for a dog named Buddy who belonged to one of our residents, he recently passed away after 18.5 years, he was a gentle, loving Labrador who had his fair share of run-ins with neighboring cats..lol.
The Buddy Foundation will provide financial assistance to help with the cost of spaying/neutering cats. It will also be used to purchase supplies for the cats, such as materials needed to build a cat shelter/feeding station. Once the shelter is in place the foundation will provide ongoing support.
If anyone would like to volunteer a little of their time to help with checking on the cat shelter/feeding station please call the town office at 709-453-2273. Also if you would like to make a donation please address your donations to “The Buddy Foundation.” Our first donation was actually given by Buddy’s owner, she paid for a female cat spaying in memory of Buddy…Thanks so much Leila and Aiden….greatly appreciated!!!
In regards to payment options, you can drop by the office with a cash donation; send a check or money order; call us and we can process MasterCard or Visa over the phone.
The Bonne Bay Recreation/Rink Committee has implemented a recycling program for beverage containers only. They will be accepting recyclables for drop-off only.
Items can be dropped off at the front door of the rink. The following items can be dropped off for recycling:
Aluminum Cans: Soft drinks, beer, juice and flavoured drinks, and energy drinks.
Plastic Containers: Clear, tinted and opaque soft drinks, water, juice, flavoured drinks, liquor bottles, imported beer, flavoured (strawberry or banana) “twist-and-go” milk containers, and yogurt drinks.
Glass Bottles: Clear, tinted and opaque soft drinks, water, juice, flavoured drinks, liquor bottles, imported beer.
Steel Cans: Small single-serve containers and large juice containers.
Drink Boxes (Tetra): Juice, flavoured drinks and milkshakes (including white, chocolate and flavoured milkshakes), and some alcoholic beverages (like wine and vodka).
Gable Top Containers: Juice and flavoured drinks.
Mini Sips (Drink Pouches): Juice and flavoured drinks pouches.
Bag-in-Box : Bag-in-Box wine (bag only).
For more information please feel free to contact the town office 453-2273.