According to historian E.R. Seary, Bonne Bay appeared on maps in 1698 and 1741 as Belle Bay, belle meaning beautiful in french. Bonne Bay was part of the “French Shore” until 1904. A treaty had given the French the right to pursue the fishery along the Coast. Clashes between English, French and American interests presented obvious deterrents to settlement as battle on the high seas has never been particularly good for real estate, but between 1807 and 1838 there were six families in the area. Most of these people hailed from Southwest England. By 1872 there was 129 families residing in the area. By 1900, the area was at its’ height. The herring fishery was booming with such firms as Joseph Bird and Co. of Sturnminister Newton, England firmly established in Woody Point. Logging was also a large portion of the economy. A logging operation had been established first at Stanleyville and had expanded and moved to Lomond. By the late 1800′s, Bonne Bay was firmly established and had a wide variety of people and services. Some of these were: master mariner, magistrate, merchant, teacher, postmaster, clergy, telegraph operator, banker, tinsmith, blacksmith, lumberman and tidewaiter and sub-collectors (custom officers).